Friday, September 28, 2012

Greetings from sunny Costa Rica!

(Just kidding, it's raining.)

Hey there. I’m in Costa Rica for about a month & figured I’d give a quick update. I’ve been out filming anoles at La Selva Biological Station (OTS) with some level of success.  Over the next couple weeks, I’ll periodically post some videos (they are – not surprisingly – difficult to upload from here). For now, a photo or two & a story will have to suffice.
A few days after I got here, I recorded a juvenile male capito (~38 mm snout-vent length; see above). After I captured him by noose and grabbed him with my hand, he regurgitated his last meal … and it was still alive! As you can see below, the larva was relatively large. I should note that after 24 hours it had “shrunk” back down to a length of 28 mm, but that’s still not too shabby for such a small lizard!
P.S. Always check your camera case for bullet ants before picking it up.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this post. I found it very interesting. Those are some really cool photos. Costa Rica definitely has some wonderful wild life. I am planning on going there in the spring and have been looking into a jaco costa rica vacation package. I am very excited!

    ReplyDelete